Green Thumb

Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

New Leaf

Some of my fondest and earliest childhood memories were of gardening with my mom, which she may or may not realize. I am happy to say that during her most recent visit, she jump started my own garden-adventure with an important lesson: if you want your garden to grow in sunny sandy hot florida, you have to buy dirt. I never thought I would have to pay for dirt, but if your garden isn't blessed in that area, it is worth the investment. A large bag of organic garden soil is around six dollars. I think I have purchased about 20 bags in all. Once I saw how drastically soil mattered to my dying plants, I realized the more dirt I had, the more happy plants I could adopt. As I said, my childhood was filled with days spent digging and planting, picking and eating. Somehow I overlooked the fact that in NC, we were blessed with dark black soil, perfectly enticing to all sorts of flowers, herbs, and veggies. I look forward to watching squash and green beans germinate and produce fruit. Hope to post pictures soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment